The superb scriber of this very very Dino-educational piece, Mr. Bruce Cogerson, brought his work to our attention almost two months ago through a comment on one of our regular posts, and we responded back that we would certainly share his hard work in the cause of Dino with all the pallies here at ilovedinomartin.
Well we truly have no good excuses here besides limited time and lack of technological resources for our lagging. But, likes we are thrilled to share Bruce's work as best we can now.
What Mr. Cogerson has done at his beautiful blog, "Congerson Movie Score," is to thoroughly thoroughly research and analyze each and every one of our Dino's 51 big screen efforts in his powerful post "51 Dean Martin Movies-Best to Worst-with Box Office Results/Grosses,Reviews and Awards." Bruce has charted both our most beloved Dino's "Top Ten Box Office Movies in Adjusted for Inflation Dollars," and his "Top Ten Movies based on critic's reviews and audience voting." These two charts we have been able to reproduce here.
However, the hugest hugest piece of Bruce's Dino-efforts is the massive chart "Dean Martin's 51 Movies ranked by Cogerson Movie Score," which we have do not know the technology to share here, so you can view that portion as well as the rest of his enormous effort by clicking on the tag of this Dino-gram. Likes gotta say pallies that likes we totally totally stand in awe of Mr. Bruce Cogerson efforts on this amazin' Dino-educational prose. Simply can't image the tremendous time Bruce has put into gettin' this piece on paper.
Now, likes we are sure that no two pallies are goin' to be in agreement with all of Bruce's analysis 'cause we all love our Dino in our own way, but this masterpiece of Dino-information will surely be one that dudes likes us will often what to refer back to as we keep seekin' to grow deeper and truer in our Dino-edification.
ilovedinomartin gratefully salutes Mr. Bruce Congerson for all his time, talents, and resources used in the cause of Dino-learnin', and 'gain we truly truly apologize for our not gettin' this shared in a more timely Dino-fashion. Dino-always, ever, and only, DMP btw, we also simply must add how much we digs Bruce's closin' thoughts, "Possibly Interesting Facts About Dean Martin." There's lots and lots of gems of Dino-edification there as well!
51 Dean Martin Movies-Best to Worst-with Box Office Results/Grosses,Reviews and Awards
Dean Martin had one of the best singing voices of all-time....but it should be noted that he had one impressive movie career.....starring in 51 movies from 1949 to 1984.
Recently my favorite movie blogger, Steve Lensman, published a Dean Martin movie poster page that looked at some of his movies. After viewing those posters, it occured to me that Martin might make a good subject for a Cogerson Movie Score page as well. A quick look on IMDB showed that Martin had 63 acting credits. After filtering out his television appearances, cameos and shorts....that left 51 movies for me to research.
It did not take me long to realize that I had seriously under estimated his popularity at the box office....as I came across box office hit after box office hit. For his career, Martin had 26 movies that earned over 100 million in adjusted for inflation dollars. 26 might not seem like that many, but when you realize that current superstar, Tom Hanks, only has 22 movies to reach that mark...I think you start to see that Dean Martin was a beast at the box office.
This page will rank Dean Martin movies in three different tables as well as list some possibly interesting facts about his life and career.
Table One: Shows the Top Ten biggest box office hits of his career. Movies are ranked by adjusted for inflation dollars. Box office dollars are North America totals only.
Table Two: Shows the Top Ten highest rated movies of his career based on critics and audiences. Sources used to get the ratings include....RottenTomatoes.com, IMDB, GoldenRetriever, Fandango, RogerEbert.com, Leonard Maltin and others...all sources used are averaged to get score....60% seems (RottenTomatoes' criteria) to be a good indicator if a movie is worth seeing or not.
Table Three: Shows all 51 of his movies ranked Best to Worst using Cogerson Movie Scores. Cogerson Movie Score puts box office performance, reviews and award recognition into a mathematical equation. To get a high score a movie needs to perform well in all three categories. Some people have told me that my formula gives too much weight to box office results.....but ultimately the reason a movie gets made is for the producers/studios to make money and preferrably a lot of money.
Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis made 17 movies together from 1949 to 1956....including 4 of Dean Martin's Top Ten Box Office Hits of All-Time.
Dean Martin's Top Ten Box Office Movies in Adjusted for Inflation Dollars
Adjusted for Inflation Box Office(mil)
The Cannonball Run (1981)
Burt Reynolds/Roger Moore
Rio Bravo (1959)
Living It Up (1954)
3 Ring Circus (1954)
Ocean's 11 (1960)
Sailor Beware (1952)
That's My Boy (1951)
The Young Lions (1958)
Some Came Running (1958)
Dean Martin's Top Ten Movies based on critic's reviews and audience voting
Critics Audience Rating
Rio Bravo (1959)
The Sons of Katie Elder (1965)
Some Came Running (1958)
The Young Lions (1958)
The Stooge (1952)
Bells Are Ringing (1960)
Scared Stiff (1953)
Texas Across The River (1966)
Kiss Me Stupid (1964)
Directed by Billy Wilder
Possibly Interesting Facts About Dean Martin
1. Dean Martin (1917-1995) was born Dino Paul Crocetti in Ohio.
2. After dropping out of high school in the 10th grade, Dean Martin tried numerous jobs....like delivering bootleg liqour, being a speakeasy croupier, a blackjack dealer, a boxer and working in a mill.
3. In the early 1940s, singing became Dean Martin's bread and butter. Band leader, Sammy Watkins, suggested that he change his name from Dino Crocetti to Dean Martin. His singing got him noticed by movie studios but he never got a contract offer.
4. The big break of his career was when he met comic, Jerry Lewis, in 1946. Their partnership went from night clubs to radio appearances to an Ed Sullivan television appearance to movies in about 2 and half years. They would make a total of 17 movies (that includes one cameo) together from 1949 to 1956. Although Martin got tired of the movies with Lewis, the public never did as everyone of their movies was a box office hit.
5. After the filming of Hollywood or Bust, the comedy team of Martin and Lewis broke up. The general consensus was Dean Martin would not be able to succeed without Jerry Lewis.....that consensus proved to be completely wrong. Martin continued to star in hit movie after hit movie for the next 14 years. This would include many movies with Frank Sinatra, Shirley MacLaine and 4 Matt Helms movies.
6. It is estimated that 50 million Dean Martin records have been sold worldwide.....with my mom being a huge contributor to that total.
7. Dean Martin was married three times in his life. His first marriage to Elizabeth McDonald lasted from 1941 to 1949 and produced 4 children. His second marriage to Jeanne Martin lasted from 1949 to 1973 and produced 3 children. His last marriage to Catherine Hawn lasted from 1973 to 1976 and produced 1 child.
8. Dean Martin has not one, not two but three stars on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.....they are for his music career, his movie career and his television career.
9. Dean Martin was one of Frank Sinatra's closest friends. They were in the Rat Pack together, sang in night clubs and starred in 8 movies together.
10. Dean Martin hosted....Dean Martin's Celebrity Roasts from 1973-1984.....it is considered one of the greatest television shows of all-time. I highly recommend watching these shows as it takes you back to another time and place and many shows have legendary people like John Wayne, Bob Hope, Ronald Reagan and Frank Sinatra getting roasted and roasting others.