Wednesday, November 16, 2011

I want to talk to you about Dean Martin.

Hey pallies, likes the name of our Dino is likely to appear all over the web this week as one of our most beloved Dino's greatest fans, Regis Philbin "signs off this week" from his 5-day-a-week TV show. Today ilovedinomartin brings you part of an interview between Regis and Mr. Jerry Seinfeld done for Newsweek Mag and reported at the blog, "The Daily Beast."

As you will read below, likes Newsweek asked Philbin who he woulda likes to interview him and his request was to have Seinfeld do the task. And, likes what name did Jerry drop as he began quirin' the Rege? Likes, of course, none other then our Dino! Jerry sez, "I want to talk to you about Dean Martin."

What appears below is that portion of the interview that puts the accent on Dino. Likes I woulda encourage all you Dino-holics to read the Dino-banter back and forth between Jerry and Regis...very cool stuff indeed pallies! To read the whole interview just clicks on the tag of this Dino-sharin'.

Hats off to the pallies at "The Daily Beast" for makin' this interview available on the web, and to the pallies at Newsweek for comin' up with the idear of an exist interview with Philbin. And, more thanks to Mr. Seinfeld for puttin' the accent on our most beloved Dino in his questionin' of Mr. Philbin. Thanks also to Dino-holic Regis Philbin for doin' so so much to keep the Dino-light glowin' Dino-bright durin' his reign on the small screen. Dino-reportin', DMP btw pallies, likes as a little added Dino-bonus, at the end of today's Dino-post is likes the youtube clip when Regis unveiled his life-size Dino-stand-up to his viewin' audience!


Live With Regis & Jerry

Nov 13, 2011 10:00 AM EST

TV’s ultimate survivor, Regis Philbin, signs off this week. the daytime kibitzer talks to Jerry Seinfeld about what makes a show last—and how to know when to quit.

He is, believe it or not, the most enduring act in the history of television, 16,700 hours on camera, a Guinness World Record. Today, Regis Philbin’s office at ABC in New York, his second home since 1983, is mostly empty, aside from half-full moving boxes and his colorful neckties lining the closet. He’s adamant that at age 80 he’s not retiring, having attributed the split to a contract dispute.

As he signs off this week, Newsweek asked Philbin, who has chatted up guests ranging from Milton Berle and Big Bird to Condoleezza Rice and John McCain, who should interview him. He chose Jerry Seinfeld. (“Is he a reporter now?” Kelly Ripa quipped on the show the day after the interview took place. “Everybody is moving on to other things.”) Seinfeld pulled into Philbin’s studio on his bicycle to reminisce. Excerpts:

JERRY: I want to talk to you about Dean Martin.

REGIS: I’m amazed that you bring up Dean Martin. Why did you bring up Dean Martin?

JERRY: Well, I know you’re a fan. I have a friend who’s also a fan, and he was constantly hammering me, “Do you see what this man is capable of?” Then you stop and think about it—who else ever did that? Somebody comes on, he sings with them, he doesn’t rehearse, it all works. And so I have, later in life, begun to really appreciate him.

REGIS: I’m so happy to hear that, because Dean Martin is kind of fading out in our business. He hasn’t been performing.

JERRY: Frankly, I think death hurt him professionally.

REGIS: But for a young guy like you to understand what this man meant—

JERRY: Now here’s my segue. What you’re doing, Regis, that Dean Martin also did is one of the things that the people who make the big decisions in our business never understand.

REGIS: You’re right again. They never did. They never got Regis, they never did.

JERRY: Let’s not complain too much about the people who don’t get you. You’ve been gotten. It doesn’t become you to be complaining. You somehow managed 30 years, the most successful television performer in the history of the medium.

REGIS: Has anybody heard a question in here?

JERRY: I just think it’s interesting that people don’t understand how a guy could just come out on TV and be entertaining by just being himself, with no material. This is how I’m trying to connect you to Dean Martin here. Tell us—what do you do that gets you to where you think, “I can make this work”?

REGIS: You know, I never knew if I had any talent when I started in this business. My first job was being a page at The Tonight Show. I saw Jack Paar come out one night and sit on the edge of his desk and talk about what he’d done the night before. I thought, “I can do that!” I used to do that on a street corner in the Bronx with all my buddies.

JERRY: And you would make them laugh?

REGIS: Yeah. So when I got the chance to do my first talk show, 50 years ago last month, I never had any writers. There was no budget—it was just me and the camera and my friend who was the director. I talked about what I’d done that week.

JERRY: My friend Colin Quinn calls your show Breakfast With Your Father. You’re this guy who we love and are comfortable with, but he’s only going so far with you. When you get to a certain line of propriety, he’s going to say, “I don’t want to hear about that.” And that’s what we’re missing in television: people who realize I don’t want to know everything. I don’t want you to display your sexual proclivities. It’s a moral compass of what I’m going to talk about on TV and what I’m not going to talk about on TV, and that’s what Regis provided.

REGIS: But excuse me, you’re one of the few guys left in our business—there’s only about three guys I know who don’t use the F word to get a laugh. It’s you, Cosby, and Rickles, believe it or not.

JERRY: I’m going to do it my way or I’m not going to do it.

REGIS: In your show, there are four different plotlines. It’s going this way with Elaine, and there’s Kramer getting into trouble, and George has a problem. It takes a lot of ingenuity.

JERRY: You know why we did that? We realized we had such great performers. You couldn’t have a show where Kramer doesn’t do something. What a waste of a terrific guy.

REGIS: But you were their compass. They were all coming to you. You could laugh with these guys and solve their problems. There had to be one guy to do that.

JERRY: I learned that from Mary Tyler Moore. When I was a kid and I watched her show, I thought, “I can do what she’s doing.” You play off of all those eccentric characters, and if you really love comedy as I do, you know that the straight man is one of the most important parts of comedy. And one of the most fun.

REGIS: And one of the things Dean Martin had.

4 comments:

Saturday Stevens said...

Your video dimensions are too wide. Either adhust the width of your blog or the width of the videos. Email me (saturdaystevens@gmail.com)if you don't know how.

Saturday Stevens said...

You need to either decrease the width of the videos or increase the width of your blog. Email me (saturdaystevens@gmail.com) if you don't know how.

LoveOldStuff said...

I LOVE this article. Love Dean Martin, love Bing Crosby (who Rege is obsessed with too), I am so sad Regis is leaving because believe it or not-Regis singing in a commercial next to Dean Martin-I was so intrigued and charmed I fell for both of them right there. Forever. Just couldn't shake it. The men mentioned here got class.

dino martin peters said...

Hey pallie, likes nice to hear from you Miss and likes so glads you digs this Dino-prose....keeps lovin' our Dino!