Monday, April 04, 2011

this CD is my homage to Mr. Martin

Hey pallies, likes there musta be likes thousands of Dino-emulators 'cross this whole wide Dino-planet, and likes I coulda spend all my time here at ilovedinomartin reportin' on all of 'em. Today's Dino-gem is 'bout one Dino-homager tagged Steven Palumbo. Caught his interview by Miss Charlene Arsenault for the Northborough Patch of Northborough, Mass.

Likes what grabbed my attention pallies was the fact that Mr. Palumbo has devoted his third CD release to the homagin' of our beloved Dino. Likes how cool is that to have this Dino-impersonator lovin' on our Dino in this way...sure to bring many more to the knowin' and lovin' and diggin' of our King of Cool. To read the entire interview and to click on a link to Palumbo's web pad, just clicks on the tag of this Dino-post.

Thanks to the pallies at Northborough Patch, particularly Miss Arsenault...and of course to Steven Palumbo for liftin' up the name of our Dino in this way and drawin' others to deep, pure, and true Dino-devotion! Dino-loved, DMP


The Jazz Singer: Palumbo Brings Back 'Martini Music'

Steven Palumbo will perform at Bistro Limoncello on Saturday night.

By Charlene Arsenault

In 1993, when Steven Palumbo was 21, he tried out for a band. It was to be the singer's first professional gig, with a Providence-based Motown quarter called Twyce. For the audition, Palumbo planned to sing Luther Vandross' "Here and Now" and Jeffrey Osborn's "In Your Eyes."

"Just as I was about to start singing the second song, guess who walked in the door of the venue?" Palumbo said. "Jeffrey Osborne! It turned out that he and Manny [from the band] were friends since childhood and Osborne decided to surprise Manny that night. It was unreal. Thankfully, I got the job."

During his seven years with Twyce, Palumbo, who now lives in Providence, RI, had the chance to perform with such names as Tavares, Roberta Flack, The Temptations and Sean Paul. He also does stints on cruise ships, this month sailing to Aruba, the Bahamas and Curacao on Holland America.

But in the meantime, he'll be in Northborough this weekend, playing 8 to 11 p.m. Saturday at Bistro Limoncello. Northborough Patch caught up with him recently for a question and answer session.

Northborough Patch: Do you play solo or with a band?
Steve Palumbo: I am a solo artist at the moment. Occasionally, I perform with the Strictly Sinatra Big Band, which is usually fronted by the great Sinatra guy Mike Dutra.

Patch: How do you describe your sound/your show?
Palumbo: I always describe my sound as “Martini Music." It’s a sound that makes you feel good and has an element of maturity and sexiness to it—like a good martini. Think of the James Bond films when Sean Connery played Bond. “Shaken. Not stirred." Classic!

Patch: Do you have any CDs?
Palumbo: Over the past several years, I have recorded three CDs. The first is Timeless Classics. It contains some of the greatest songs ever written, including Jerry Vale’s “Mama” and Bocelli’s “Time to Say Goodbye." The second CD is More, which is the title track and was made famous by Bobby Darin. On that one I perform jazz standards by Sinatra, Harry Connick Jr. as well as impressions of Louis “Satchmo” Armstrong and Natalie Cole. The third CD is my tribute to Dean Martin. I perform as Dean Martin in a Rat Pack show and this CD is my homage to Mr. Martin. I also write songs and have recordings of my original material.

2 comments:

Danny G. said...

Hey pal, my buddy owns Limoncello's in Northborough. Can't believe I missed that show!!! I've seen Palumbo's shows before and he does a great job. Oh well, next time.

dino martin peters said...

Hey pallie, Danny G. sorry that I didn't get this posted 'til after the show had taken place....I was wonderin' how close this place was to you....next time I will know to gives you a Dino-'lert! Keeps lovin' our Dino!