Thursday, September 03, 2009

Dean Martin Isn't Here

Photobucket

Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Dean Martin Isn't Here

I think you never fully understand distance until you physically cover it; or to be more exact, you don't really know how far 750 miles is until you drive it.

When I left New Smyrna Beach, FL, at 8:00 this morning I could hardly believe it would take me all day to get to Nashville. I thought, heck, if I make good time I should be able to drive all night and get to Denver in the morning. Now that it's 10:00 PM and I've only just gotten in to Nashville (after roughly 750 miles), I realize that Denver is still a long ways away.

So far, it hasn't been a very exciting trip. Florida was, well, Florida. Georgia was one long road flanked by billboards advertising pecans and adult stores. And Tennessee was very, very pretty but mostly shrouded in darkness when I got there. Tomorrow's highlights *cough* include St. Louis and Kansas City and another 750 miles.

I'm going to keep this short as I have a long day ahead of me, but I wanted to say one thing. I'm staying near Adams, TN, famous for the Bell Witch haunting (read about it here). This particular haunting is one of the most fascinating, studied, and also contested ghost stories in the US. If I had time to go, I would've visited the site of the hauntings. For now, I'm just excited to be near the place.

Good night, everyone. Keep track of me on Twitter tomorrow!

PS. I'm at the Holiday Inn, but where is Dean Martin?

2 comments:

Maria Jensen said...

Yeah, i had the smae feeling in vegas : (

dino martin peters said...

Hey pallie, betcha ya did...but sure you coulda feel the presence of our Dino even if our Dino was not physically there.....